Saturday, June 4, 2011

They Think They're Just Fishin'


And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the riverside
Throwin’ back what we could fry
Drownin’ worms and killin’ time
Nothin’ too ambitious
She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in
And she thinks we’re just fishin’.....

Trace Atkins sings these words talking about a little girl.  I heard the song yesterday and couldn't help but think about the boys and the fishing day they were having.

Our great family friend invited my husband, son and father-in-law (grandpa) for a day of fishing at Eagle Lake.  Everyone was very excited about the trip.  Grandpa hadn't been fishing in a long time and seemed to be looking forward to the day.  My husband sent up one prayer..."I don't care if I never catch another fish, I just really want my dad to catch a great fish and have a fun day!"  Everyone was in grandpa's corner and hoping he would be the fisherman of the day.

The boys left at 4:00 am to make the 2 hour drive. I am told grandpa had his first fish on before I was probably even out of bed!  The day was a big success, everyone got their limit and in terms of fishing it ranked right at the top.





From another perspective, it was a lot more than fishing.  It's been a while since grandpa, son and grandson have done something like this together.  Everyone is busy with work and school. The stories they were telling summed it up, the memories that were made will be tucked away in their hearts and minds forever...and they thought they were just fishin'...

I guarantee the memory is a big one...

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner