Thursday, June 2, 2011

This is Emmanuel


This picture is on my desk and I see it every morning. This is Emmanuel. He will be 10 years old in December. He is our boy from the Dominican Republic that we sponsor through Compassion International.

Several years ago the Compassion program was presented at church.  It wasn't my decision to sponsor, it was made by my children.  They really wanted to sponsor a child.  They even offered to give something up in order to pay for it.  How could I possibly say no.  After the service we went over and my children looked at all of the children's pictures.  They wanted to be the one to pick out our child.  It was an easy pick...Emmanuel.  They were taken by his eyes and the way he was dressed up for the picture.  

We signed up and got the information on our child.  When we got home, the first thing my children did was put out a jar to put our spare change in.  This was designated as Emmanuel's jar.  I was pretty taken by my children that day.  They realized the opportunities they have and wanted to share.  They realized the money that gets wasted on everyday things like candy and soda that could be spent in a worthwhile way.  They realized that they were very fortunate and they wanted to help another child.

We receive letters and pictures from Emmanuel and we write back.  We have been blessed by this program.  Compassion International is a great organization doing their part to help. We pay a very small price  and receive so much back.  This is a true blessing.

Compassion.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner