Sunday, June 12, 2011

Catchin' Some Zzzzzz's


Sleepy!  The only word I can think of to describe how I feel right now.  A long couple of weeks and a lot of activities going on have left me feeling pretty tired.  As tired as I am, I have no room to complain, I didn't stay up all night for the Sober Grad Night parties this last weekend.

So how do they do it?  How can a teeanager stay up all night, get a few hours of sleep and start all over again?  If I don't get my 8-10 hours of sleep, I admit, I can be a little grouchy.  Teenagers on the other hand can go on very little sleep, especially if there is fun involved.

This got me thinking about the changes in sleep cycles...

When we first have our children, things in the sleep department change a lot.  We may have been used to getting plenty of sleep.  We would wake up when we chose to and were able to choose our bedtime.  Then along comes the baby and our sleep schedule is no longer ours.  Babies don't tend to sleep a lot, at least not at night when we want them to.  They sleep a lot during the day, when we are busy doing other things. Babies wake up during the night and very early in the morning.  One of my children hardly slept for her first 2 years.

The kids got a little older and were able to establish bedtimes, that wasn't always an easy thing.  There were the many trips back and forth to the bedroom ans they needed a drink of water, got scared or wanted another story.  At least now, adult bedtime could be more regular and we could sleep through the night.  An early wake up time was still a part of the equation.

Teenagers...another story completely.  We go to bed before them and wake up before them.  We now have to wake them up in the morning and drag them out of bed. Christmas morning we know find ourselves making as much noise as possible to get them to wake up.  Wasn't it just yesterday they were jumping on our bed and waking us up at 5:00 am on Christmas morning.

I am guessing we will never have our sleep schedules in sync with our children...so for now, I am thinking I will pretend to be a toddler and go take a nap!

"People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one." -Leo J. Burke


No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner