Friday, June 24, 2011

Living on the Edge!


It almost happened…my dad drove in the driveway, came around the corner and parked. Did you smash it? What? Did you SMASH it?  He didn’t even see it, and thankfully he didn’t smash it.

Little Miss Killdeer decided to build her nest and lay her eggs right in our driveway, right where my husband parks.  Mind you, this is a BUSY place.  We are ranchers.  There are tractors, pickups, hay equipment and cattle dogs running all though this front driveway every day.  She is “Pushing the Envelope!” I have no idea WHY our dogs have decided to leave her alone.  She also seems to being going it alone.  The usual male faking an injury is nowhere to be found.

I have to wonder why these cute little birds choose to put their nest in a terrible spot.  Every year we are trying our best to avoid these nests.  I even made my husband go out and put a flag by her so no one would run her over.  She really blends in and is hard to see!

This little bird is up against all odds and she sits there brave as can be.  She didn’t look real happy when I was taking here picture, but she stood her ground and protected her eggs as I inched forward for a photo.  She knows her job and will not be intimidated by big tractors, dogs or the people that walk by her many times in a day.

I hope she makes it.  I can’t wait to see her babies.  She has provided a great lesson…sometimes we can “Push the Envelope” and live on the edge a bit, but we have to remain brave and strong and stay dedicated to the task at hand, no matter the circumstances!


No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner