Monday, June 20, 2011

Can You Live Without Your Phone?


Completely accessible all of the time.  Phones with us every minute of the day.  How did we ever get by any other way? Sometimes I would like to go back to those days...

Remember when the only phone in the house was the one hanging on the kitchen wall.  It wasn't cordless.  It had a long stretchy cord, but you were still limited on how far you could get from everyone's range of hearing.  That's how it was when I was in high school.  My whole family could listen to every conversation I was having. When I went to college, we still didn't have cordless phones and had no answering machine either.  It was just luck if my parents could get a hold of me at my apartment.

Now, we have several phones in our house, all cordless and an answering machine with caller ID.  Now we can even see who is calling before we answer!  Beyond this, we have cell phones!  Everyone has cell phones!  My kids got theirs in junior high. 

I got my first cell phone at 35 years old. In those 9 years, my cell phone has changed immensely. We shared our first phone and it was rather large.  We thought of it as "just for emergencies".  Soon, my husband and I both had phones.    My phone has progressed from a simple analog phone with "Baby Elephant Walk" for my ring tone to my current I Phone.

I always said I didn't need an I Phone, I thought they were kind of over the top, but I must admit now that I have one, I really do like it.  My calendar is in there, I can check my email and I have some great Apps.  I have my Bible reading App, a walking App, a recipe App, and many more "productivity" Apps.  It is hard to be without my phone.  

I will say though, that we managed for all of those years and we probably could today.  I am not sure that being accessible all of the time is such a good thing.  I do like being ale to get a hold of my kids. Maybe we should have a national "Put Your Cell Phone Away" day?  Just a thought!



No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner