Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It's a Goo-pher!


As we were enjoying our morning cup of coffee, I got the bird's eye view of fresh activity on my lawn.  I had just mowed and a friendly little gopher decided to push dirt right at the edge of the sidewalk.  As we watched the dirt push up creating a huge mound of fresh rich dirt in my lawn, my first thought was..."Look daddy, it's a goo-pher hole!"

Forget about the fact the he was tearing up my lawn, the only thing that came to my mind was the cute things my sister said when she was little.  That led to the cute things my kids and their friends have said.  Forget the goo-pher, I was ready to reminisce.   

When my sister was little, she sounded like she was from New York, the way she spoke her "r's".  She also had a way of saying things and mix up the words.  When it was time for us to get irrigation water on our ranch we would get a call from the "tender-ditch"...ditch tender.  The Eagle song Lyin' Eyes went like this..."You can't hide your private eyes and your spies have been disguised..."  As I sat and thought about it, I just smiled.  My little sister was pretty darn cute!

My kids have come up with a few of their own.  When we mow the law, it is a "mowlawner" we use.  We don't have eyebrows, we have "ow-bries". Of course it really tingles when you hit your "bellbow" on something.   Don't forget to buckle your "beatlselt" when you get in the car.  When we went to Disneyland for the first time, our son, then four, loved looking at all of the "tootsie cats"...taxi cabs. 

Husband gets involved sometimes, mostly by singing words to a song incorrectly.  Like Randy Travis' Hard Rock Bottom of My Heart,  husband thinks it's "hot-rod bottom of my heart". I won't continue here, I might get in trouble :)

Despite that silly goo-pher messing up my lawn, he gave me some good laughs and a great start to my day. 

Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us.  ~Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner