Sunday, May 22, 2011

Winning Attitude

This is a picture from several years ago.  They won a championship and it was great.  They were winners.  That was in the past.  Now in the present, they are still winners by every definition.  These three girls, along with many others that I know, have worked very hard at the things they love to do.  They have winning attitudes and that will take them far in life.

A lot of focus is put on winning a game.  I am a coach and I like to win...but I will tell you, I would rather develop winning attitudes that will carry over into other parts of life... than win a lot of games and never learn to deal with challenges that come with losing a few. The final numbers on a scoreboard don't mean a lot if the character and attitude isn't there. 

Over the years I have had winning teams and losing teams.  Reflecting back I don't really recall the exact scores of games, what years we won the championship or what our records were.  I do remember the girls.  I remember their hard work ethic, their desire to get better, the way they set personal and individual goals and the way they treated each other.  I am in contact with many of those athletes still and to see the quality individuals they have become and the winning attitude they display in their lives is such a reward.

I watched a team this spring that did great things.  The roster was freshman to seniors, but that didn't matter.  They were a team of girls with no drama, a lot of support and love for each other and a team that made tremedous growth through the season.  Their record wasn't perfect, they won and lost...but at the end of the season the winning attitude towards each other was perfect.  They built character traits that will carry over outside of sports.  They are just another example that winning isn't just reflected on the scoreboard!

Winning is important....a winning attitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner