Friday, May 13, 2011

Things Aren't Always What They Seem


I thought we were going to Nebraska?  Traveling across the country through a lot of unpopulated areas, the last thing I was thinking of was Beverly Hills!  I didn't see any celebrities, mansions or high dollar stores...in fact I didn't see anything.  I really don't even remember what state we were in. Utah, I think.  There was a lot of land between Nebraska and California.  I actually would have enjoyed seeing what this Beverly Hills was like.  I am confident it is nothing like the California Beverly Hills!

Things are not always what they seem.  We have expectations about people, places and things.  We sometimes have an image or predetermined idea in our mind.  How many times have you been wrong?  "You can't judge a book by it's cover."  We often do.  I can remember going to the National FFA Convention when I was in high school.  On the back of my FFA jacket, it said "CALIFORNIA" in large letters.  Every  person I met automatically thought I lived by the beach, knew how to surf and saw famous people on a daily basis.  Little did they know, I lived in the far northeastern corner of California, in the mountains were it snowed, went to a school of 100 students in a town with no fast food or stop lights and rarely saw the ocean.  There was a famous person who owned a ranch over the hill though!  I was not the prototype Californian.

Everyday we make judgements based on what we think we know or how things might seem to be.  Seeing that road sign helped me recognize that things can fool us sometimes, it really made me laugh.  As I thought about how different this Beverly Hills was from the other one, I realized I need to look a little more closely at things in life.  I can't be caught up in how I think things are or what something is going to be like, or what someone else says.  I need to find out for myself.  I could miss out on a lot if I take things and people at face value...things aren't always as they seem.  I think the next road trip to Nebraska, we will take Exit 348, Beverly Hills...just to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner