Monday, May 2, 2011

Hidden Beauty


I was preparing to burn a large pile of sticks and branches that had accumulated over the fall and winter.  I really wanted to get it done before burn permits were required.  I drug my hose over, had my rakes and matches and was just about to light this large pile on fire....

From somewhere within the middle of the pile, out flew a female mallard.  I better check this out...just as I thought...burrowed within the sticks and garden debris was a nest with seven eggs. My plans for burning that pile changed.

I was frustrated at first, I had my list of things I wanted to get done in the yard, this pile is not very attractive and it really needs to be dealt with.  I wouldn't be burning this pile for a while. So, rake and matches in hand, I moved on to another area.  As I worked, I kept thinking about this other pile and the nest of eggs. How many times do I just plow through my tasks and neglect to see the beauty of life in different situations.  If something doesn't look good to me, I want to fix it right now.  How much do I miss?

The other day a photographer wanted to come over to take some pictures of a young lady and use some spots on the ranch as background.  We agreed, but I was thinking...it is kind of a mess around here, I haven't got my winter clean up done, etc. etc.  The photographer saw things from a different perspective.  I saw the pictures she took and they were beautiful...she had a way of taking something that looked old and junky and broken in my eyes and brought it to life with her eyes. She found hidden beauty in things that weren't very attractive to many on the surface.

The same with the pile of sticks and brush.  It may not look attractive at first glance, but hidden within that pile, something beautiful is happening...new life.  Out of that pile will come little ducklings...perfect little creations.  I think I can deal with the pile for a while!

"For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it"

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner