Monday, May 30, 2011

In Memory...

Today being Memorial Day, I woke up and had one thing on my mind.  This is what I am going to write about today.  We have many local heroes, young and old.  I have family that have served in the military.  There is no respect deserved more, than to these brave men and women.   I have many freedoms because of their great sacrifice and I do't take it lightly.  Being able to sit down and write is a freedom.


So what is Memorial Day…Memorial Day, formerly known as Decoration Day, commemorates U.S. soldiers who died while in the military service. It was first enacted to honor Union and Confederate soldiers following the American Civil War,  it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.  Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on May 5, 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic.   It was first observed on May 30, 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873.


I want to dedicate my blog today to one of our local heroes...Lance Corporal Tyler A. Roads.  Tyler was a proud Marine.  He was born 7-12-89 and sacrificed his life in Afghanistan on 7-10-10.  Tyler was an amazing young man.  I didn't get to know him like my husband and son did, but his character stood on it's own.  My husband was his coach and I can remember always hearing about what an amazing young man he was. It was evident how much he is loved by our community, his memorial service was beyond words. 


To his mom and his family...thank you for this wonderful young man...he is a hero by every definition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner