Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mushroom Mug


This isn't just any mug...It's a priceless, beautiful, very old mushroom mug! I don't even use it anymore.  It has a special place on a shelf in my kitchen.  My nana Alice gave this to me.  It was my favorite mug as a child to drink hot chocolate out of when I was at her house.  So really it is a mug of memories....

Memories of going to Nana Alice and Bopa Bill's house after church every Sunday, having hamburgers and ice cream sandwiches.

Memories of putting on nana's high heel shoes after church every Sunday! 

Memories of sitting in my nana's spare bedroom looking through her jewelry drawer every time I was there. 

Memories of smelling nana's homemade cinnamon bread and getting to have the first warm slice.

Memories of her really cool bottle brush tree in the back yard.

Memories of nana letting me move her blue rotary phone out of the bedroom into the tv room so I could call my cousin while watching cartoons.

Memories of my grandpa giving me a quarter to change the channel from my show so he could watch the 49ers play.

Memories of  my grandpa playing endless games of "Go Fish" with me and teaching me how to play solitaire.

Memories of sitting on the front porch eating peanut butter and crackers and having my own full glass bottle of coca-cola.

Memories of nana decorating our choice of cake for our birthdays.  I had some really cool doll cakes.

Memories of the NBC Peacock and that NBC sound...that was the channel they watched every night.

Memories of my grandpa bringing me home colored telephone wire so I could make bracelets.

So you see, my mushroom mug wasn't only to drink hot chocolate or coffee with LOTS of sugar...I look at that mug and a flood of simple childhood memories with my grandparents come back.  My grandpa passed away when I was 16, I am blessed to have my nana in my life still.  I will forever cherish these memories, nana will never know how much it meant that she gave me that mushroom mug!


               Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us.  ~Oscar Wilde

1 comment:

  1. If you ever ever want to part with this cup for a price & a good home, Then let me know...

    ReplyDelete

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner