Sunday, July 3, 2011

Thanks!


I promise I will get back on track!  I am home now and very happy to be here.  I spent the last week keeping you updated on my "City Mom" experience.  It was a very worthwhile and amazing week!  Before I get back to my topical blogs, I just wanted to use this space to say some thank yous...they are well deserved!

The American Legion Auxiliary does a great service to our young ladies by planning and hosting California Girls State. I admit, I only knew that the delegates were selected and went and "learned about government." To some, it could have sounded boring.  It was an honor to be selected, as the criteria is tough.  All of the almost 500 girls there were exceptional students, good citizens in their communities, active in their schools...they were on a level playing field.  

There were girls of all makes, shapes, backgrounds, cultures and representing towns large and small.  The neat thing is that they came together as one.

What is Girls State?  I don't think you can truly understand the dynamics unless you see it for yourself.  It was AMAZING!  My daughter was nervous about it and wasn't sure...she had the best time and hasn't stopped talking about it. 

To explain a little, across the nation over 20,000 girls attend Girls State each year.  It provides training in the governmental process.  City, County and State governments are formed and issues are discussed.  The program is structured to develop leadership and pride, to educate about our democratic system of government, to instill and understanding of American traditions and to stimulate a desire to maintain our democratic government process. Beyond all of that, friendships and bonds that will last a lifetime are built.

Attendees soon realize that by "stepping out of their box" great rewards can be achieved. I saw many quiet, reserved young ladies come out of their shell and grow leaps and bounds in one week.

A HUGE thank you to the dedicated members of the California American Legion Auxiliary and staff for this wonderful experience.  Thank you to all of the ladies that made my time as a "City Mom" so enjoyable.  Thank you to my girls in the City of Marshall...I love you all and miss you already!   Thank you to our local unit for providing my daughter with an experience she will never forget!

I will leave you with this...if you are eligible to become a member of the American Legion Auxiliary, I would check into it.  They are a part of some amazing programs that would be rewarding to be involved in.  I know I am going to see where I can help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner