Thursday, January 5, 2012

Only in a Small Town


She left for school and a few minutes later the phone rang..."Mom, there's a sheep in our driveway!" We had already known this little fact but forgot to tell out daughter. It was quite a surprise to her as she drove out...since we haven't had sheep on our ranch since the kids won a lamb at the Firemen's Carnival 15 years ago.

No the question remained..."Where did it come from?" Well, it's a small town, it shouldn't be too hard to figure this out. As luck would have it, I was heading to the Winter Ag Meeting at the fairgrounds. On my way out the driveway, I found the sheep staring at the cattle out in the field. Did she want to join them? They were staring back and she was pretty out numbered. (I am assuming she is a she!)

I stopped, snapped a picture on my phone and posted it to Facebook. I figured someone would see it and give us some insight. Where our ranch is there are no sheep any where around. So when one shows up on your driveway, somebody has to know something. 

At the Winter Ag meeting I asked around. I talked to the only sheep person I know who lives clear on the other side of the valley. He asked if I had a picture, and as luck would have it I did. "No, I don't know where she came from." Hmmm...well, I spread the word and hoped someone would figure out they were missing something.

My husband got her up the driveway and in the corral. He set her up with some water and hay, but by the sound of it, she wasn't happy.

When I got home, there was a message on the answering machine...all of my investigating and Facebook post worked. We found the owner. I am writing as I listen to the steady baa's coming from the corral. The owner is on his way...


Thursday's Trivia...

When Woodrow Wilson was President, the First Lady had sheep graze on the White House lawn to keep it neat and well trimmed. 
When Woodrow Wilson was President,  and well trimmed. 


Quote of the Day...

David wasn't thinking of being king when he was tending sheep; he was just doing what God sat before him.
John Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner