Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Greatest Gift


When your birthday or Christmas approaches do you have something that you really want?  Have you ever received a gift that you really cherished? Some gifts we receive last a short time.  Some gifts we receive last a lifetime.

I received a gift the other day that I will cherish forever.  In 1966, the year I was born, my great-grandfather gave my grandparents a small black leather covered devotional, The Daily Light.  As far back as I remember, that devotional sat on the table at my grandparents house and my grandpa read out of it EVERY DAY without fail.  For 45 years he read that daily devotional.

The small book is worn and obviously well read.  I had always told my grandpa, I hoped to have it someday.  This week, my grandma is visiting and the other morning she came out and gave me this devotional book.  The marker in the book is on July 30...this is the last day my grandpa read.  He went home to be with the Lord that night.

The devotional he had read last was from Colossians 3:1, "seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God." This is the way my grandpa lived his life and his example was a gift to us all.

This gift I received this week is priceless.  It is not just the physical gift, but all of the lessons, memories and guidance that came with it. Thank you nana and grandpa...you both are a gift to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner