Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Foregiveness


If you can't forgive and forget, pick one.  ~Robert Brault


This picture was on many people's Facebook posts today...I had to take it...Forgive me!  When I saw it I could only think how true it is. 

How many people do you hold a grudge against or have chosen not to forgive for some reason?  I have learned the hard way that holding a grudge and not offering forgiveness can be just as detrimental to you as the other person. Harboring that negativity inside is not good for your mental or physical health.

I heard a sermon many years back that has always stuck in my mind. Forgiveness is not making something okay or acceptable...It is releasing the burden to God.  Since it is not our "job" to judge, by forgiving, we are handing it over to God and taking a step in moving forward. By forgiving and saying NO to a grudge, you are saying YES to hope, peace and joy.

Forgiveness is personally deciding to let go of thoughts of resentment and revenge which may eventually lead to feeling of understanding and compassion. People often feel like if they forgive someone, they are saying that the action was acceptable.  This is not the case, you are only saying I am ready to move on, you are not excusing the act. You are simply letting that act lose it's grip on you.

Forgiving someone can be challenging.  It doesn't mean there is reconciliation. Forgiveness doesn't mean a person will change.  Forgiveness does mean that you will not allow that act to have control of your thoughts, emotions an life any longer.

Life is too short to hold a grudge...let it go...turn it over to God...He will handle it! You have bigger joys waiting and a wonderful life to live!

Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.  ~Paul Boese

1 comment:

  1. Val, What a way to start off my day! And backtracking all the wonderful articles you have written since I took some time to get better! This was meant for me today and I thank God for using you in my life in so many ways. It takes a big person to say I am sorry! I always try to resolve issues but my problem lies when I ask for forgiveness and the person does not accept my apology! Then I punish myself with all those dreaded thoughts that keep me from moving forward! I think now I can give it to God and let Him take care of the problems I have been facing!
    Love you Val! Inspiring words! Thank you!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner