Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Rest of the Story


A Story About Some Very Special People!

It was our wedding rehearsal dinner and there was a big crown around the table. My grandma was sitting right in the middle of it, right next to Andy. It wasn’t long and she was laughing pretty hard. Yep, Andy was telling jokes to my grandma! I wondered how she would take it, I’d never heard my grandma tell a joke, but she sure seemed to enjoy listening!

If you have ever worked at a bank or business in town that he patronizes, then you have no doubt heard his jokes and stories. He has probably even shared candy out of his coat pocket with you. There is not a person he can’t or won’t make friends with. He can strike up a good conversation with anyone. I guarantee there will not be enough paper in this week’s issue to tell a fraction of his story, but I will do my best. As for the rest of the story…he would probably share a few.

“Can I come up and interview you?” I asked. “Why would you want to interview me?” He replied. I am sure he was puzzled, because after all he has been my father-in-law for 22 years. The thing was, I needed to interview him to make sure I had all of his stories straight. There are a lot of stories, some of which I won’t print to protect the innocent! So, this is a bit risky, being the daughter-in-law, but it was an assignment from the editor.

Andrew Lakey was born in Burney in January 1925. He was the fifth of ten children born to Agnes and Asa Lakey. The Lakey clan was a lively one and Andy was always right in the middle of it. Five boys and five girls, an even match for the most part, although when you hear the stories, you might wonder.

Andy’s dad Asa came with his family from Missouri. He settled in Burney and married Agnes Spears from Montgomery Creek. In fact, that yellow house on the right on your way to Redding is where Andy’s mom was born.

The Lakey children all attended elementary school in Burney. Of course they got there not by walking uphill with no shoes in the snow, but on stilts! “We walked over a mile through town to school. We lived in the middle of town. One day I was walking to school on my stilts and I fell…right through a glass window of one of the stores.” He didn’t say if he was hurt, only that he had to go to that store every day after school for a couple of weeks to do chores to pay for the broken window.

Trips to high school in McArthur were a little easier; they were on a bus ride along the old highway through Cassel. Andy graduated from Fall River High School in 1942 in a class of eighteen students. He recalls ag teacher Jess Beckett as being one of his favorites. “I raised Jersey cows for my project in ag.”

Growing up in Burney, the Lakey kids and their friends could always find something to do. “We would fish, swim and ice skate at Burney Creek. I learned to swim in Burney Creek.” Ice-skating at Dixon Flat was also a favorite. “We also liked to ride bicycles and eventually motorcycles.” He said.

Andy recalled a story when his dad had a car accident and came home with a big cut on his head. “Dr. Pratt from Fall River came down to stitch it up. He was using a sackcloth needle and the needle broke. Dad was in so much pain, he sent me with a note to the Rex Club across the street giving permission for them to send me home with a pint of whiskey. I think I went back four times, the doctor needed it as much as my dad!”

After high school, Andy went in to the Navy. He wasn’t stationed until December of 1943 when he was sent to Peru, Nebraska in the V-5 program of the Naval Air Corp. It was in Nebraska where he learned to fly. Flying was a hobby that became a lifetime one for Andy. While in Nebraska, he attended Peru State and was there for three years. Recently, Andy made a trip to Nebraska to see grandson Nick who attends Midland University just a couple of hours away from his old stomping grounds. Andy attends a reunion every year with classmates from Peru.

A problem with his vision had him transferred out of the Air Corp program and sent to southern California in late 1946. There he attended Cal Poly and continued his studies of Electrical Engineering. He was assigned to a cargo ship that delivered all supplies. He also spent time in Guam.  He got out of the Navy in 1949 and came back to Burney.

When he returned to Northern California he began working for Scott Lumber Company as an electrician. Andy remained at that position until 1954 at which time he married Mildred Jensen of Glenburn.

How did they meet you ask? With a little help from John and Shirley McArthur. Andy was good friends with a lively crowd including Floyd Bidwell, Sparky Bethel and John McArthur. One day Andy was in McArthur with John and saw some ranchers moving cattle through the town. John said hi to the young lady on the horse. “Who’s that?” Andy asked John. The rest is history. John and his girlfriend Shirley were quick to set up a double dinner date. “We had dinner at the Rex Club.”

After meeting, Milly went on a trip to Denmark for six months. When she returned the couple continued to date and were married on August 14, 1954.  “I wasn’t sure how it would go. Milly’s mom wouldn’t speak to her for about 3 weeks after we were engaged. She had been told some stories about my friends and I. She wasn’t too happy. Once we got all that worked out it was fine.”

I had always heard the story of Milly being late for her own wedding and they confirmed it for me. “My dad said I should have known better than to get married during haying season. I was trying to get everyone to head to the wedding and they were all out haying.” Milly said.

Mildred Jensen was born to Walter and Zereda Fine Jensen in June 1932. Both sides of her family were pioneers. The Jensen family came from Denmark and homesteaded in Glenburn and the Fine family were pioneers of Pittville.

In 1954, Andy and Milly Lakey became a part of building their own part of the story. “Milly’s dad was ill and we helped out on the ranch a lot. One day he came over and I made him buck steak and gravy for breakfast. He asked me when we were coming over. I told him we could come anytime to help. He said that wasn’t what he meant. He wanted to know when we were coming over permanently to the ranch to help.” Andy explained. “He offered a chance for us to be partners and we accepted.” In 1955 Andy and Milly moved to Glenburn and took residence in the little house on the river. (Where we started our married life.) “They never got rid of us.” Milly said. Since 1955, they have been working side by side on their ranch raising hay and cattle. In 1970 they expanded and purchased Milly’s Uncle John Jensen’s ranch on Island Rd. (The original Jensen homestead where we live now.)


Andy and Milly have three children, Marty, Debbie and Tim. They have four grandchildren, Marianne, Nick, Mandy and Shay.

They both agree that there have been a lot of changes in the area and in ranching over the years. “We did things a little simpler. We used to spend a lot of time out on the range with the cattle. We don’t do much of that anymore. We used to lease 34,000 acres.” Andy said. “Horses were also used a lot more, now it’s a lot of four wheelers.” Both Andy and Milly noted that it is a lot harder now and that costs of production are proportionality a lot higher.

Andy has had his share of being in the limelight. He has been referred to as the I-5 Cowboy after losing a load of cattle on I-5 by Cypress Ave. many years ago. “It was kind of a mess. One tire went one way, another tire went another and the cattle were all over the freeway. It was amazing how many people stopped to help circle around the cattle. It took a while but with the help of the Peek’s at the auction yard, we got everything loaded again. We got the cattle to the sale, but one bull was sure missing a lot of hair!” Andy made the evening news and every local paper over this one.

Andy is a busy guy. There are several nights a week he is attending some sort of a meeting. He has been active in the community his entire life. He was a founding member of the Eastern Shasta County Sheriff’s Flying Posse. “I am the only founding member left.” He has been a posse member well over 60 years.

His love of flying was a big part of this organization. Andy and Milly owned a plane up until a few years ago. Sunday morning flights for breakfast were often a part of the schedule.

Andy has been a member of the Masons for over 58 years. He will reach his 50-year membership with the Elks Lodge next year and has also been a longtime member of the cattlemen and Shriners.  Currently, he has also been active in helping Milly at the Fort Crook Historical Society where she is a board member. He is also known for having a hug woodpile, a big love for vanilla ice cream and a new joke every time he goes to town. 

Andy says a lot of the things he has learned and enjoyed about life have come from his dad. “My dad taught me how to trap bear and that is something I loved to do. Finally, though, Milly had had enough. When we were dating, every time she would come over, I was skinning a bear. She finally told me no more bears or she would dump me!” A few words of wisdom came from his dad too. “He told me how to keep a good marriage. If you did something wrong just say I’m sorry, then shut up!”

There are a lot of stories that I have heard many times, but they never get old. I have learned which nickname belongs to which person, which house or property is referred to by which slang and always to listen when Andy has a story to tell. I encourage you to listen if you get the chance to hear “The Rest of the Story.”




No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner