Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Early Years


Today is the first day of school in our small town.  Backpacks are filled, lunches are made, hair is combed and pictures in front of the house with the new outfit and lunchbox are taken.

Our last child is a Senior today!  Truly, I remember the day she started Kindergarten.  I still took a picture...it was just minus the lunchbox.

There are so many children eager for that first day of school...the real first day...Kindergarten!  Then there are those entering the high school as a 7th grade junior high student...changing classes, opening lockers and being the youngest at that big school.

When you think about your elementary school years, what do you remember?  I was reminiscing a little and it was funny the things that I remembered...

-I remember cutting my finger trying to open a Snack Pack Pudding in Kindergarten...no plastic containers in the 70's! 

-I remember there was some sort of pond by the big playground at my school in 1st grade.  At lunch recess we could go out there and catch tadpoles.

- I remember riding my lime green bike with a banana seat to school and worrying everyday if I went the right way...then when I would pass the Church of Christ and I knew I was on the right route.

-I remember my 2nd grade teacher pretending to paint glue on a little boys bottom so he would stay in his seat...he never sat still.

-I remember in 3rd grade I was the class treasurer, we had a classroom camp out and we could still get paddled...

-In 4th grade, I got my first pair of "boy" looking tennis shoes that had stripes on the sides. Rocky, a boy in my class, was the best 4 square player on the playground.

-In 5th and 6th grade I remember bringing my lunch to school each day, except the days they made fresh yeast rolls in the cafeteria.

The list goes on....but I found it funny the things I remembered.  I don't recall a lot of school work.  I do remember most of my teacher's name.  Most of my memories are about silly events and my friends.

I have a favorite teacher from those days before high school...Ms. Strait.  She was my English teacher and we still keep in touch.  She taught me a strange love for diagramming sentences!

Many of my childhood friends have now reconnected because of the technology we have today...that is a really neat thing.  I wonder if they have any the same memories?

When you look back, what do you remember? When our children look back, what will they remember?

Have a fun, happy and safe school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner