Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Mark


Nine months pregnant, sitting in the waiting room and people are looking at me funny.  Presiding over a meeting with unfamiliar faces in the audience and people are looking at me funny.  Greeting people at church...people are looking at me funny.  Coaching my the high school volleyball JV team... people are looking at me funny.

Why?  When meeting someone for the first time, they often move their glance form my eyes...to my neck.  I want to wear a great big sign or have a handout ready to give them...NO!  It is not a "hicky", it is a birthmark!

I was blessed with the oddest and most embarrassing birthmark.  It is under the skin, red and blotchy...and  on the front of my neck!  It turns redder when I am nervous, excited...when my blood is flowing.

I know that many people think I always have a "hicky."  The trouble is, I am a forty something woman, with grown children, a member of the business community, on the school board, a coach and active in many community organizations.  It doesn't look very professional.

I have had people comment.."Been to the zoo lately?"  What?  "Nice monkey bite on your neck!" Or how about "Wow, is that hicky always in the same place."  Real funny!

It was the most embarrassing when I was pregnant.  There I was...Huge and pregnant with what looked like a large "hicky" on my neck.

So, I am marked.  I prefer to call it an angel kiss.  I guess others can think what they want, but if you have read this you know you can look me in the eye and not worry about that mark on my neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner