Tuesday, August 16, 2011

All Grown Up!


This picture was taken almost seven years ago...my nephew, my son and my daughter.  They were all looking like pretty grown up kids.  Never did I imagine on that day that seven years could go by so fast!

They are truly grown up now. My nephew just left for his first year of college, my son is a junior in college and my daughter is a senior in high school.  I know I write often about this kind of thing, but it just always reminds me of how important it is to enjoy each minute we have with our children.

When they are small and we are wishing they would hurry up and walk...be careful, that wish  soon leads to them walking out the door into the next step of their lives.

When we are wishing they could just communicate and tell us what it is they want, too soon they are telling us EXACTLY what they want and we may not always agree.

When we are wishing they would get their driver's license so we don't have to chauffeur them around so much, the day comes when we never see them unless they need to borrow the car or money for gas.

It is a bittersweet thing.  We are proud of our children when they grow up, but we also want them to stay young.  With my nephew going off to college, I was actually able to give some advice (not sure how good it was) to my sister.  I have already gone through my first child leaving and I know how it feels.  

As hard as it is, we need to remember we didn't raise our children to stay home.  We have always prayed they would want to go to college, spread their wings and become the person God has planned them to be.  It is just hard to let go. This requires us as parents to be stronger than we have ever been.  Our children will face ups and downs, but that is what it takes for them to grow into that next part of their lives.

Knowing that there is no perfect situation, scenario or place in life, we need to encourage our children to deal with the ups and downs, look for the positives and make the best of their situation.  Each place offers a new set of challenges.  This is what builds character and makes them strong (us too!)

I have watched my son grow over the last few years, to the point that he doesn't need me like he used to.  I will watch my nephew go through the same thing.  These two boys are strong young men with a strong character.  God has big plans for them both.

As my daughter begins her senior year, we will begin to prepare for her leaving the nest...In the meantime I will enjoy every minute she is home.

Above all, I pray...and pray...and pray for these beautiful children God gave us the privilege of raising!


No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner