Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lilly versus the Hawk


"Mom, Lilly has a REALLY big bird on the porch." These are the words I woke up to this morning.  Didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary...Lilly has a bird every day!  A day doesn't go by that I don't have to sweep feathers off of the porch.

Lilly is our kitten.  She is about four months old and is growing into a pretty big cat. I have my issues with Lilly, she likes to meow, always needs "fresh" food and loves to jump up on me with all four sets of claws out.  My issues aside, she is turning into a great hunter. Which is why we want a cat in the first place. Living on a ranch, a good mouser is a necessity.

One little problem...Lilly catches probably five birds to every one mouse.  She just loves to catch birds. She must be out to catch one of each specie because I haven't seen her catch the same type of bird twice.

This morning was no different...she seems to be challenging herself a little more each day.  When my daughter told me Lilly had a big bird on the porch, I had no idea.  I went to the porch and looked out the window on the door.  Here is Lilly with this bird cornered in the screen and the battle is on.  We didn't think this was going to end well...and it was probably going to go on for hours considering the size of the bird. We had to get Lilly away from the bird.

Seizing the perfect opportunity, my daughter grabbed Lilly and put her in the house. Lilly was NOT happy...she paced and meowed and wanted back out. Now it was time for dad to come and save the traumatized bird. 

He went out and was ready to catch it and release it off of the porch, when he decided touching it wouldn't be the best idea, given the size of it's claws and beak.  He was able to get it free using a piece of wood.

In the meantime, Lilly was frantically trying to get back outside...How dare we take her away from her biggest bird yet...A Hawk! What cat (KITTEN) is brave enough to catch a hawk?

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner