Thursday, October 20, 2011

Shhhhh....I'm Recording!



"You're so vain, I bet you think this song is about you...You're so vain..." The song went on and everyone in the green Pinto wagon was silent.  Someone coughed!  "Shhhhh....I'm recording!"

This went on the rest of the drive and when we were home I had four or five songs recorded off of the AM radio, with just a LITTLE background noise.

I got the cassette recorder for Christmas. There was even a message from Santa left on it.  I must have been in 3rd or 4th grade. It was my gift of choice and I couldn't have been happier. For the next few weeks, even months, all I did was record songs from the radio.  I eventually built up quite a "My Tunes" library.  I even would record songs in my room as I played them on my 45 record player.

Those were the days!  I have some 45 records and vinyl albums still.  When the kids were little they were really confused about what they were...Big Cd's?  If they only knew!  I have experienced 45's, 8-Tracks, cassettes, CD's, DVD's, MP3's....That should make me an audio expert.

Now when my kids are downloading music on their IPods, computers and phones I instinctively feel like I need to be quiet. Pretty amazing, I would say, the way technology has advanced something as simple as recording a song.  

I still think this generation is missing out.  The thrill and excitement I had over that silly little cassette recorder that provided me with endless hours of entertainment and poor quality music. The way I would save my money and eventually get to take a trip to the record store in the mall and buy one maybe even two 45 records. Where's the anticipation and excitement of downloading a song...RIGHT NOW?

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner