Thursday, October 13, 2011

You Have the Skill...Do you Have the Heart?


What is the difference between good and great?  The line that separates the average from the exceptional? 

Heart.

Putting your heart into what you do can be the defining difference in winning and losing, success and failure, joy and sadness...your heart is the difference maker.

I am a coach and have watched many great athletes and teams not have the success they could achieve.  What do I tell them?  I let them know that, yes, you have the skills, you know the plays, you understand the game...but until you start playing with emotion, determination and heart...all of that isn't enough to reach your full potential.

What does it mean to play with heart?  It means to put your self out there completely.  It means to do your absolute best and put forth all of your physical and emotional energy.  It means to be able to walk off of the floor or field and know that you have given your BEST effort...win or lose.

There is a video clip I love....The Last Play.  It is a football clip, but it is a life lesson...


I am listening to this video clip as I type.  EVERY TIME I get goose bumps. This video defines playing with heart...play like it is your last play every time.  Play with emotion and determination.

So I ask, you have the skill, do you have the heart?  I am not just referring to sports.  I am referring to life...Do you live each day to it's fullest with your whole heart?  Do you love, cherish and support those around you?  Do you do the things you have always wanted to do?  Do you approach new things and challenging things with determination?

I posted this video clip and a friend commented..."This is how we need to live our lives, as if it's our last day, telling others about Jesus Christ."  When I read that, I found another way to interpret this video clip.

Determination, emotion and heart....the difference maker.  Approach everything as if it is your "Last Play" with your whole heart.  How do you want your last play to be?  How do you want to be remembered?


No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner