Saturday, April 21, 2012

Two Years and Counting!



This is a partial repost from my one year anniversary from neck surgery. It is such a significant day in my life, I don't forget the date. April 21, 2010 was a big day for me....I had neck surgery.  To say I wasn't nervous would not be the truth.  To say I was ready to eliminate the pain is absolutely the truth.  It was a scary prospect thinking about the neurosurgeon going through the front of my neck to do a disc replacement.  After many years of off and on pain, a few months of unbearable pain and trying every other conventional treatment, surgery was the next option.

It has been two years now, I am so happy to be pain free and and so blessed and thankful that I had a successful surgery and recovery.

The details of the surgery don't really remain...what I do have are great memories of all of the support I received from my amazing, small community. 

I cannot even begin to express the gratitude I have for the MANY people that helped me through my 6 week recovery.  I wasn't allowed to do anything.  Having been in pain for so long, I was committed to following doctor's orders to the tee.  The people of our community are the most giving, caring people.  I have seen it over and over with other people after surgeries, emergencies and other family situations.  It wasn't until I was on the receiving end that I realized just how much caring goes on in this place.

The ladies at church and many of our friends provided meals.  There was a meal schedule and they were delivered on time each day.  We had meals on the table and extras in the freezer.  My family didn't have to cook for at least 4 weeks.  We even got some great recipes out of the experience.  People helped with housework, employees picked up the slack at our business, cards and flowers were sent...but most importantly, the outpouring of genuine love and concern really became evident.

A few things I learned while recovering...my husband can operate the vacuum cleaner, Food Network is on ALL day and there are a lot of repeats of CSI. Most importantly, I saw how friends and community really cared.

Through this experience, I have been motivated to really be aware of other's situations and try to help them and share my love and care when they are in need...

We can do no great things, only small things with great love.  ~Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner