Thursday, April 26, 2012

Roundabout...


They say if it's a rainy day and you walk into class with a stripe up your back side...you are a freshman. They also say if you are stuck in the middle of a roundabout going in circles...you are a freshman. "Been there, done that!" 

I had to use this particular picture I found on Yahoo because it is actually of a roundabout at UC Davis...the place where I got stuck in the circle for at least a couple of loops. Riding a bike was the best mode of transportation in college. It was the cheapest, easiest to park, but not always the quickest. I would have to leave plenty early to get to class...and hope that I didn't encounter the roundabout at rush hour!

Here we are MANY years later and those roundabouts are coming back to haunt me. It seems a lot of cities are putting them. I am not a big fan...what about just using the plain old "4-Way" stop. That works for me. Sure the roundabouts look pretty you don't have to stop...but they intimidate me!

Yesterday I went to the "big town". Of course you must remember we come from a town with no stop lights, miles of open road and very few four way stops....there are NO roundabouts! I have a normal path I travel when I go to town. They put a roundabout right in my way. Coming in to town wasn't so bad...it was leaving that I hit all of the traffic. It seemed like some people couldn't read the "YIELD" letters painted VERY LARGELY on the road.

I had to just laugh to myself. No, I didn't get caught in the roundabout going in circles. I made it through just fine. It did take me back though, to those days on my Schwinn 10-speed, stuck in a bike roundabout at college.

Then I realized...Just "round about" the time you get things figured out...someone has to go and change them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner