Monday, April 23, 2012

I Want to Be Her Today!


I'm sorry...another Lilly blog! As I was sitting to write, I couldn't help but notice that Lilly looked like she didn't have a care in the world! Anyone who has read my previous Lilly stories, knows she is quite a cat. She has definitely entered what I would call the "teenager" stage!

I came in from doing yardwork and I was hot, covered it dirt and really tired. Lilly on the other hand looked very comfortable and didn't even flinch when I opened the door or took her picture. She was covering her eyes as if to shade the sun from bothering her. What a life!

She has it pretty tough...she meows to be fed, she meows to be let out, she cruises the ranch and hunts at her leisure. The rest of the time she sleeps! So that is pretty much it...eat, meow and sleep. 

At the moment I feel like I could use a nap...I am thinking Lilly is just going to have to take it for me!

So for the fun of it, here's a previous post about Lilly...

 "Welcome to Motherhood!"

Ohhhhh! She is so wound up and I am ready for bed! Why is she not settling down? It is bedtime!” Word of a new mother? Well, kind of…words of my daughter on the first night of her new kitten. All I could do was giggle and say,“Welcome to motherhood!”

It has been many months in our home without a cat. Our family cat of 15 years passed away this year. Figueroa was a great cat. She was independent and self-sufficient. She was a great mouser too, a huge requirement on a ranch.

My daughter wanted a new cat right away. Out of respect for Figueroa (wink, wink) I said we really needed to wait! Daughters, even 17 year old ones, don’t forget when you give them a time frame. So a few weeks ago, a family friend had a kitten that needed a home.

We waited until it was old enough and the kitten, Lilly, came to our family last week. I told my daughter that the kitten would be her responsibility. She went to pick it up and had to go to the store to buy all of the necessities. She arrived home with Lilly and MANY supplies. “How many paychecks did it take you to get aFREE kitten?” I asked. A couple days worth of work she informed me with a sigh. Hmmm…sounds familiar.
She had purchased a pink polka dotted bed, a pink cat carrier, litter box, food bowl, collar, toys, litter and food.

It has been a few days now and Lilly is settling in. My daughter has truly experienced what it is like to be a “parent”, although it is only to a kitten. She likens the cleaning of the litter box to changing diapers. She is already expressing that Lilly is getting spoiled and she should have never given her the expensive canned food because now Lilly is being picky. (That one makes me laugh, my daughter is PICKY!)
She wonders why Lilly wants to sleep all day and not sleep at night…another big déjà vu for me! I have had the honor of babysitting while my daughter is at work. I get to spoil Lilly, then give her back! Boy, this is fun!

Last night, I watched as my daughter tried to discipline the cat with no luck.  "I am getting so frustrated with her!  Why won't she behave?"

Tomorrow is a big day, Lilly is going to a playgroup…she gets to meet the dogs which are not big fans of cats. If dad introduces Lilly, the dogs are likely to accept her. You see, we live on a ranch and a big part of having a cat is so it can go outside to catch mice.

Also, the sooner Lilly gets to go outside, she can “go outside” and my daughter will no longer be required to “change diapers!”

As much as I was not ready for another cat, I am really enjoying watching this process with my daughter…very fun similarities…I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner