Tuesday, November 22, 2011

It's Gonna Be Dry!


Do you remember cooking your first turkey? I do...I was so nervous and I don't really know why. I had always heard stories about "turkeys gone bad" and I guess I didn't want to fall in that category.

It was my first year of college and I won a turkey from a raffle at the school. Perfect, I will cook for my roommates and friends. The biggest problem was I had know idea what I was doing. I called my mom for a quick turkey cooking lesson.

I remember her laughing when I asked, "what end do you stuff?" Once we got past the reminders of taking out the bagged giblets, neck, etc. I felt pretty good about cooking this big bird. My only wish now was the it wouldn't be dry.

I cooked it and little did I know I cooked it upside down...which I learned later was a trick for keeping it more moist.

It turned out pretty good, either that or the college kids I was feeding were just extra thankful for a big, FREE meal.

Since that time so many year ago, I have cooked more turkeys and it is always a scary process for me. I have made progress though, I know how to stuff it, I have a general idea of how to cook it and it usually comes out pretty moist.

This Thanksgiving....my mom is cooking the turkey...


No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner