Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cupcakes, Calories and Character


CUPCAKES
Cupcakes, cupcakes, cupcakes! I am surrounded by cupcakes. Cupcakes full of calories. Cupcakes that are definitely building my willpower and character!

I was out of town last weekend and I got a text from a friend. We are helping each other be accountable and it is working. "Help, I am surrounded by cupcakes and I want to eat on!" She said. She had made cupcakes for a birthday and had to handle and look at each one as she frosted them.

"No, No, No," I replied to her, "It's not worth it!" I told her how I had just turned down a Cinnabon in the mall. (Something that used to be a regular stop!) The intervention worked. Every time each of us thinks we want to cheat, we gently remind each other how much exercise we have to do to burn off those calories.

CALORIES
This is what you get in a cupcake....

Bakery Cupcake

Calories: 585
Total Fat: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
What you get: Just one of these contains more than half the recommended daily saturated-fat limit.

Store-Bought Cake Mix & Frosting

Calories: 298
Total Fat: 14 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
What you get: Most cake mixes and frostings contain artificial flavors, artificial colors and trans fats too.

How much exercise to burn one off? Approximately 276 calories are burned walked at 3.0 mph for 60 minutes. Do the math.

CHARACTER
So I know all of this. Why do I torture myself with watching cupcake wars every day? It is a habit that I can't break. I don't eat them, I watch people bake them. I think this builds my willpower and my character. It helps me to know I CAN do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner