Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Slow Down!


We had just cleaned up. Faces were clean, clothes were changed. We were ready for the campfire and a good night's sleep. We were on one of many family camping trips. My younger sister and I always enjoyed these outings.

My sister had a knack for hurting herself and getting dirty. My mom only laughed at us and how much dirt we had collected on our faces during the day of camping. So after dinner my mom made sure we were clean before we went to sleep.

I'm not sure who had the idea, but my sister and I decided to take a little hike before we roasted marshmallows. It wasn't quite dark yet and the campfire wasn't fun until it was dark. There was a great hill behind our campsite, so we decided to take a hike up the steep hill. Everything was great on the way up...

We started back down, eager to get to the marshmallows. I think my sister was a little too eager. 
I  can't remember how old we were. I am pretty sure my sister was in second grade or so. I do, though,  remember it like it was yesterday. My sister was small, kind of short. She took off ahead of me and pretty soon her pace was a little quicker than a walk. "Oh no'" I could see it coming. Pretty soon she was running and her legs started moving faster than she could keep up with. 

She was giggling all the way down...until she went face first and slid the rest of the way down the hill. The laughter turned to tears and at the bottom of the hill was my little sister a little scrapped up and A LOT dirty! Her face was once again covered in dirt with the only clean spots being the streaks from her tears. 

All ended well...marshmallows were had by all...and my sister went to bed with a dirty face!

1 comment:

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner