Monday, February 6, 2012

Not My Uncle


My maiden name is Suess...carefully look at the spelling...S-U-E-S-S. As much as I would have loved it...Dr. Seuss was not my uncle.

I grew up being teased about it. "Is Dr. Seuss your uncle." I never really understood why I was teased. It would have been pretty cool to have a famous uncle. No one could ever say my name correct. It was always pronounced like Dr. Seuss. The correct pronunciation is like "cease." Nonetheless, I love Dr. Seuss. We have a great collection of Dr. Seuss books. They were favorites of our children. 

Theodor Seuss Geisel was his real name. He was born in 1904. At the time of his death on September 24, 1991, Ted had written and illustrated 44 children's books, including such all-time favorites as Green Eggs and Ham, Oh, the Places You'll Go, Fox in Socks, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. His books had been translated into more than 15 languages. Over 200 million copies had found their way into homes and hearts around the world.


I still enjoy the witty way he put his stories together. He also has many quotes I really enjoy. They are so simple, but yet so full of meaning...Here's a few of my favorites.


-You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.


-From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.


-Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.


-Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way.


-If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.


-I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent.


-And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.


-Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.


Even though we are not related...I am happy to take his words and put them to use!



1 comment:

  1. ha! My daughter had to give a speech when she ran for class president...and she used Dr Seuss " I will work for you here. i will work for you there. etc." she won!

    ReplyDelete

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner