Monday, December 5, 2011

Chocolate Crinkles, Sugar and Peanut Blossoms


A Holiday Filled With Joy...Day 5

"Mom, I'll bake cookies with you. I know you are disappointed there is no cookie party this year, so we can make cookies."

What an insightful teenage boy! It didn't take me long to say yes and we were in the kitchen making cookies! Sugar cookies, Russian teacakes, Chocolate Crinkles, Peanut Blossoms....All of our family favorites.

Making Christmas cookies is a normal part of my holiday routine. If I don't make cookies, something just seems to be missing. This came from my childhood when we made Christmas cookies every year...we had to have something to leave out for Santa. I can remember a cookbook that my mom only seemed to get out during Christmas. It just had cookies in it.

Growing up, my favorite were the chocolate crinkles. Now, I like my sister's frosted sugar cookies. Each member of my family has their favorite cookie. I like to make them a box of their favorite, then they can share if they want to. My husband likes the Russian teacakes, my daughter the peanut blossom and my son likes the standard oatmeal raisin.

For many years I participated in a cookie party. I loved the cookie party. There were 12 of us and we each made 12 dozen of the same cookie. We packaged them up on plates of a dozen with the recipe attached. We each got a dozen of each kind of cookie. It worked out perfect...I would come home with 12 dozen cookies! Perfect for sharing and freezing.

Members of our cookie party have become busy and we haven't had our party in several years. The first year I was very disappointed...that is when my son stepped in. The tradition of Christmas cookies continues and always will in our family.

What is your favorite cookie? I hope you have time to turn on some Christmas music, put on your apron and bake up some holiday joy to share with those you love!


No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner