Saturday, April 16, 2011

Finally!

Finally! I am doing what I have wanted to do for so long. Writing a blog is something I have always thought about doing, but never made the time.  I have decided there is no time like the present.  Part of my problem has been that I have always thought I had to have everything layed out and organized. That is the news and feature writer in me.  I have so many ideas floating around, ideas I think others might enjoy. 

We have made a lot of changes in the last few months, some of which allow me to have more time.  I have come to the conclusion life is too short to not do the things we like to do.  Writing is something I like to do, so here it is!  This post may seem unorganized but I have to start somewhere...

I think this is a great place to start, a place that reminds me to look for the Blue Skies in my life.

We had the pleasure of hearing about a young man's spring break experience last night.  The stories he told made the things I already know somewhere inside, even more clear.  He went to a third world country on his college spring break for a mission trip to work with children at an orphanage and school.  A completely unselfish thing.  When a majority of kids are looking for where to go to have fun, this young man put others before himself and ended up having the time of his life.  So much, that he plans to continue this minstry.  Pretty impressive for a college freshman. 

What I took from his experience is that I have it REALLY good.  If you are like me, sometimes I want for things I don't really need.  I need things to make me happy.  The children he had the privelege of working with didn't have many things.  In fact, they usually only have one meal a day.  These children are fortunate enough to be in a school funded by a non-profit ministry.  The words that ring in my mind from our conversation last night are, "they don't have anything, but they are happy, they are smiling all of the time."

Putting it all in perspective...I am really going to remind myself each day of what I have, not what I don't have.  I am going to smile and be thankful for the many blessings around me.  What makes you happy?  Take a look around and really recognize what you have....

"The time to be happy is now, the place to be happy is here, the way to be happy is to make others so."

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you're off to a great start, Val! And what a great message to share with your first post. I'll be looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner