Friday, May 18, 2012

How Do They Know?


This is an old picture and it is only one of the dozen deer that live in our yard. They mostly hang out in the orchard, but seem to really like the plants in the rest of the yard. My rose bushes are pretty much non-existent. 

This was okay for the five years I didn't have time for my yard. While we had the business in town, I basically mowed, weeded, watered and let the perennials grow...and watched the deer in graze the yard. They were so cute.

Well, they aren't cute anymore. I want my yard back! I decided to try to take control. It hasn't been much of an issue for the past couple of weeks. The pastures are so green, my herd has been hanging out in the fields. Maybe this wouldn't be so hard after all.

This last week I have been planting flowers and my garden (a garden which I haven't had for 6 years!) How did the deer know what I have been up to? I chased a doe out of the yard yesterday. She is so tame she just stood there and looked at me. I literally had to chase her out the gate. 

Fortunately, I got my fence up around the garden (The fence I built all by myself!) This morning I went out and there were little deer tracks all around the outside of the garden...but none inside! They hadn't been hanging in the yard in weeks...now they are back. 

I went a step further today and put out that stinky liquid fence. We'll see how that works for the flower beds.

The bottom line is I want my yard back...and I will get it one way or the other. If I can only train them to come back on the fall to clean up the orchard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner