Thursday, April 5, 2012

I Think I Broke My Arm


The phone rang and it was the parent of the child who was having the birthday party. He had just called a few minutes before to schedule pick-up time for the kids. He must have forgotten to tell me something....

"We have a little problem, I am taking Nick to the hospital...." Oh No, what could have happened now. It was a birthday party with a lot of 10 and 11 year old boys...my imagination was going wild. 

We drove to the hospital and went into the Emergency Room. Lucky for us, the birthday boy's dad was the anesthesiologist at the hospital. Laying there in the ER bed was our son with both arms propped up. I couldn't help but over-reacting a little when I saw one of his arms on the pillow....it was in the shape of an "S". Yep, it was broken.

Nick told us as he was being wheeled into x-ray, "I think my arm is broken." All we could respond with was "YES...I think it is." He countered back and said, "Not this one, the other one." He was referring to the arm that didn't look like a letter from the alphabet.

Turns out he was right. He had TWO broken arms! 

How did it happen? Well, first lesson as a 10 year old boy...Don't eat greasy food for lunch and then proceed to swing on a plastic handled rope swing. Your hands WILL slip. Second lesson...don't let your buddies use the other rope to pull you even HIGHER! Third lesson...it probably was a good idea to brace your fall with your arms so you wouldn't land on your head!

This was many years ago when our son was in 5th grade. It was quite an experience not being able to use both arms for a while. The first week, they were so swollen, his orders were to keep them iced and elevated.

I stumbled upon this picture the other day...one of many experiences raising a boy in the country! Fortunately, everything healed up great....I don't think he ever was a fan of rope swings after that though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

x

Get Our Latest Updates Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner